Image 1 of 1
Sheffield Island Lighthouse, Sheffield Island, Norwalk Connecticut USA, August 2013. The granite lighthouse was activated in 1868 and served the area until 1902 when it was replaced by the Greens Ledge Light.house. It was then used as a summer residence for many years by a private owner who purchased it from the government. The Norwalk Seaport Association purchased it in 1987; they maintain it as a historic site and run a ferry to the island between May and September.